Hoxton bar rapped for ‘gangs and violent disputes’
- Credit: Vickie Flores/Archant
Hoxton bar, Mother 333, whose staff allegedly sent an injured man off to hospital in a taxi with £20 and let his attacker walk away, has had its hours cut back.
The Mother Bar 333 in Old Street had its licence reviewed earlier this year because of the number of serious assaults inside.
But because it had a second licence which it had not surrendered, another review had to be scheduled at Hackney Town Hall.
Police called for a review in May because of what they claimed had been violent incidents inside and outside the bar, gang activity, and because of the victim who was allegedly refused access to the police after he was assaulted inside.
Met licensing officer Guy Hicks said in the review application: “A further incident relates to a man being punched inside the venue resulting in injuries amounting to GBH, this man asked staff to call police and ambulance services but the request was refused, he states he was placed in a taxi and given £20 to go to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
“He also saw the suspect being ushered from the venue without any apparent attempt to detain him for the police.”
Another incident saw “serious disorder” break out at the front of the bar, where one man was tasered by police, Sgt Hicks said.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
Police also said another man was stabbed with a broken bottle in his neck and body, and on the same night a man who is a “known high tier gang member” was seen on CCTV being let inside via a side door, bypassing the security and and ID entry scan system.
Hackney Council’s licensing subcommittee ordered its hours were cut back three hours, with the bar shutting at 2am on Friday and Saturday instead of 5am.
The licence should have been suspended for a month and the designated premises supervisor removed.
A second review had to be scheduled last week when it became apparent that a second licence held by the venue had not been surrendered.
The bar, whose manager did not want to comment, handed in the licence before the case was heard.
A council spokesman said: “What was of particular concern was the seriousness of the recent events and the manner these were dealt with by the management.”