Hoxton horror bag snatch: CCTV shows mugger dragging screaming widow, 92, along ground by her handbag
- Credit: police
Shocking CCTV footage shows the moment a frail 92-year-old woman was dragged along the ground screaming as a hooded robber stole her bag in broad daylight.
The “devastating psychological trauma” the victim is going through following the violent attack in Hoxton on Tuesday afternoon has been described by detectives as “possibly the worst” they have ever encountered.
The recently-widowed victim had just popped out to post a letter and was headed to the Lawson Medical Centre off Hoxton Street when she was attacked from behind.
Footage shows the robber using so much force the woman is pulled to the ground.
After refusing to let go of her bag she was dragged until she was “in so much pain that she eventually let go”, according to Scotland Yard.
You may also want to watch:
The woman, who lost her husband of nearly 70 years, was left with bruises all over her body, with the most severe on her ribs, the side of her body and where the handbag pulled on her arm.
She is being looked after by family who have described how she is “incredibly distraught and nervous”, and terrified to leave the house.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 6 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 7 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 8 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 9 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
Det Insp Paul Ridley who is leading the investigation, said: “The events have emotionally moved the officers that tended to the lady in the aftermath, as well as the investigation team, especially witnessing this inconsolable elderly lady sobbing about the robbery and recent tragic events.
“I cannot comprehend how anyone could target a frail lady in her 90s using this amount of violence. It is truly horrific.
“We have clear CCTV of the attacker. All I need is a name. There are a team of officers on standby ready to arrest him.
“If you were in the area at the time and saw the attack, or saw the suspect loitering or making his escape, then please contact the investigation team. Your witness account is vital.”
The handbag contained a £50 Virgin mobile phone, a Freedom Pass, documents and £100 in cash.
Anyone with information should call Hackney CID via 101 quoting ‘operation Brunton’, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.