Hoxton Supermarket banned from selling booze after illegal tobacco haul seized
- Credit: Archant
A Hoxton store has been banned from selling booze after a stash of illegal tobacco was found hidden behind a till.
The haul, made up of 3.7kg of loose tobacco and 428 cigarettes, was found by town hall trading standards officers at Hoxton Supermarket, Hoxton Street, after an anonymous tip-off from a customer.
In a separate operation, the store was also found to have sold alcohol to children by trading stands officers.
Open cigarette packets were also found, suggesting the shop could have been selling single cigarettes, which make it cheaper for children to buy tobacco and start smoking from a young age.
The tobacco did not have health warnings on the packet – a legal requirement – and weren’t in plain packaging either.
Councillors decided to revoke the licence last month.
Community safety chief Cllr Caroline Selman said: “We work hard to crack down on businesses who sell alcohol to underage children and those who flog illegal tobacco, which is unregulated, untaxed and available at pocket money prices.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 4 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 7 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 8 Police launch probe into Stamford Hill flat blaze
- 9 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
“The action by our trading standards team and the removal of this premises’ alcohol licence shows the risk businesses take when they decide to flout the law in Hackney.”
Anyone who thinks a shop is selling illegal tobacco or booze to kids can contact Hackney’s trading standards team on 020 8356 4929 or click here.