Hoxton Supermarket banned from selling booze after illegal tobacco haul seized
- Credit: Archant
A Hoxton store has been banned from selling booze after a stash of illegal tobacco was found hidden behind a till.
The haul, made up of 3.7kg of loose tobacco and 428 cigarettes, was found by town hall trading standards officers at Hoxton Supermarket, Hoxton Street, after an anonymous tip-off from a customer.
In a separate operation, the store was also found to have sold alcohol to children by trading stands officers.
Open cigarette packets were also found, suggesting the shop could have been selling single cigarettes, which make it cheaper for children to buy tobacco and start smoking from a young age.
The tobacco did not have health warnings on the packet – a legal requirement – and weren’t in plain packaging either.
You may also want to watch:
Councillors decided to revoke the licence last month.
Community safety chief Cllr Caroline Selman said: “We work hard to crack down on businesses who sell alcohol to underage children and those who flog illegal tobacco, which is unregulated, untaxed and available at pocket money prices.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
“The action by our trading standards team and the removal of this premises’ alcohol licence shows the risk businesses take when they decide to flout the law in Hackney.”
Anyone who thinks a shop is selling illegal tobacco or booze to kids can contact Hackney’s trading standards team on 020 8356 4929 or click here.