‘It felt like he was trying to hold hands with me’: Moped mugging victim speaks out after phone stolen in Kingsland Road
Another victim of a moped mugging has spoken out, to try and thwart the gangs by raising awareness of the crime.
Ella’s mobile phone was stolen in Kingsland Road, Haggerston, on May 30, just after she crossed St Peter’s Way. She has asked the Gazette not to publish her surname for fear of reprisals.
The thief, who was riding a black motorbike, mounted the pavement outside The Fox pub – right underneath a sign saying “CCTV operates in this area”.
He snatched the phone and bank card out of her hand.
A shaken Ella told the Gazette: “It felt like the mugger was trying to hold hands with me, as they slowed the bike right down.
“It was scary and disorientating, especially as I wasn’t using my phone, just holding it in my hand by my right side.”
Ella's contactless debit card was then passed to a woman who bought alcohol, phone credit and cigarettes in Yours Locally, a corner shop nearby.
- 1 Children hospitalised in Stamford Hill house fire involving candles
- 2 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 3 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 4 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 7 Drivers and assistants for special needs pupils vote to strike after council 'brush off'
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 Acapella choir to debut at Hackney's Round Chapel
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
Det Insp Paul Ridley from Hackney CID said: “This case demonstrates the tactics used by thieves on mopeds.
“I must re-enforce the message for people to remain vigilant and attempt to keep their belongings out of sight.
“We have significantly stepped up our efforts to reduce these offences but we need the public to assist us as well.”