Jail for Stoke Newington bike thief who stole woman’s phone – but left his own at the scene
- Credit: Archant
A bungling robber is today behind bars after he stole a woman’s phone – but left his own at the scene.
Mark Mick, 30, snatched the phone from the 30-year-old victim after cycling up behind her in Clissold Crescent, Stoke Newington, in December.
The woman grabbed hold of him to try and get it back, but was punched in the side of the head and knocked backwards.
Mick then fled the scene, but not before dropping his own phone in the struggle.
Police couldn’t believe their luck when they arrived to find it on the floor, and were able to identify him as a result.
You may also want to watch:
Mick was eventually nicked in March and picked out in an identity parade by the woman before being charged with robbery.
He pleaded guilty and was sentenced yesterday to three years and four months in jail at Wood Green Crown Court.
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 9 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
Det Con Scott Johnson of Hackney CID, said: “Mick robbed a lone woman and used violence to carry out the theft.
“Thankfully he left his own phone at the scene and we were able to identify him as a suspect and arrest him.
“With the assistance of the victim we were able gather all the necessary evidence to charge him and I would like to thank her for her support and courage in bringing this man to justice.”