Jail for Stoke Newington bike thief who stole woman’s phone – but left his own at the scene
- Credit: Archant
A bungling robber is today behind bars after he stole a woman’s phone – but left his own at the scene.
Mark Mick, 30, snatched the phone from the 30-year-old victim after cycling up behind her in Clissold Crescent, Stoke Newington, in December.
The woman grabbed hold of him to try and get it back, but was punched in the side of the head and knocked backwards.
Mick then fled the scene, but not before dropping his own phone in the struggle.
Police couldn’t believe their luck when they arrived to find it on the floor, and were able to identify him as a result.
You may also want to watch:
Mick was eventually nicked in March and picked out in an identity parade by the woman before being charged with robbery.
He pleaded guilty and was sentenced yesterday to three years and four months in jail at Wood Green Crown Court.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Det Con Scott Johnson of Hackney CID, said: “Mick robbed a lone woman and used violence to carry out the theft.
“Thankfully he left his own phone at the scene and we were able to identify him as a suspect and arrest him.
“With the assistance of the victim we were able gather all the necessary evidence to charge him and I would like to thank her for her support and courage in bringing this man to justice.”