Life sentence for Hoxton man who stabbed innocent partygoer to death
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A partygoer who knifed an innocent man to death at a university bar in a row sparked by a ‘flirty’ remark about a girl is facing a life sentence.
Noor Hassan Barre, 22, was stabbed in a ‘wholly needless’ attack at a student party at Middlesex University, Hendon.
Kevin Mao, 20, of Norris House, on the Colville Estate, Hoxton, plunged a blade into Mr Barre’s chest, the Old Bailey heard. The knife penetrated his lung and major arteries close to his heart.
Mao put his hands to his head and blubbered as he was convicted of murder by a jury of seven men and five woman on Tuesday.
Sodiq Adebayo, 22, of De Vere Gardens, Ilford, had been earlier acquitted of the killing on the judge’s direction.
You may also want to watch:
Prosecutor Simon Denison QC said: ‘Noor Barre’s death was as sudden as it was violent and it was wholly unnecessary.
“Another life taken away in an incident by the use of a knife that was taken onto the street for no reason.”
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
The victim and his killer were at an Afro-Caribbean student party last October 31 when a dispute broke out between them.
Mao made a “flirty” remark about one of Mr Barre’s friends, which led to the confrontation.
Mao was sentenced to 26 years imprisonment at the Old Bailey today.