Lout who caused Travellers distress breached ASBO three times

James Reilly

James Reilly - Credit: Archant

A lout who caused fear and distress among Travellers in Hackney was given a suspended jail term after being found drunk on a boat in the middle of Regent’s Canal.

James Reilly, of Caldecott way, Lower Clapton, was warned he could end up behind bars if he breaches his Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO), which bans him from being inebriated in public and entering some traveller sites, for a fourth time.

The 40-year-old was hit with the order in April after a string of complaints – spanning more than two years – from residents who claimed they did not feel safe because of his violent, aggressive, drunken, rowdy and inconsiderate behaviour.

Reilly breached the ASBO twice in April, and pleaded guilty to a third breach at Snaresbrook Crown Court on September 8.

Judge Huskinson warned him that if he returned before the court imprisonment was an option.

Inspector Jeoff Bull, who oversees Leabridge safer neighbourhoods team, said: “Reilly’s anti-social behaviour had shattered the peace within various communities and he has showed total disregard for the safety and well being of residents by his abusive and volatile behaviour.”

Deputy Mayor, Cllr Sophie Linden, added that Mr Reilly’s behaviour had been a real concern to people living in and around Traveller sites in the borough.

Most Read

She said: “The safety of our residents is our number one concern and the council and police will continue to do all we can to support those who feel intimidated or threatened by Mr Reilly.”

The ASBO bans Reilly from entering the traveller sites at Abbey Close in Rendlesham Road, Upper Clapton, St Theresa Close in Homerton Road, Palace Close in Chapman Road in Hackney Wick and Ruby Close, in Millfields Road, Lower Clapton.

The ASBO will be in force indefinitely and Mr Reilly will have to evidence significant changes in his behaviour to prove that the ASBO is no longer necessary to keep people safe.

Reilly pleaded guilty to breaching the ASBO at Snaresbrook Crown Court, and was sentenced to 21 days imprisonment, suspended for six months.