Lower Clapton men convicted over smash and grab moped raids on mobile phone shops
- Credit: Archant
Two Lower Clapton men have been convicted of playing a part in 17 moped smash and grab raids on mobile phone stores.
Mohammed Hussain, 24, of Goulton Road, was found guilty of conspiracy to commit burglary at Blackfriars Crown Court yesterday. Mohammed Ali, 24, of Newick Road, admitted the charge.
They were part of a gang of 10 that carried out the raids across north and east London between May and November last year.
The men would typically arrive wearing crash helmets and dark clothes, smash into the stores and ransack the stock rooms. During one of the robberies, a witness was threatened with a firearm.
Another Lower Clapton man from the gang was convicted of conspiracy to commit burglary after a trial in August. He was Chris Costi, 19, of Linscott Close.
You may also want to watch:
The 10 defendants will be sentenced on a date to be confirmed.
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 5 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 7 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers