Lower Clapton woman starts hunt for stolen van
A woman has spearheaded her own campaign for the safe return of her “beloved” campervan, after police closed the case the day after it opened.
Jo Clarke reported that “Audrey,” a 1984 cream and brown Sherpa with numberplate B201 EDP, had been stolen outside her home in Springfield, Lower Clapton, on Monday February 21.
But the next day the Met’s motor vehicle crime unit sent out a letter saying the investigation was closed.
Unimpressed, the 33-year old instigated her own campaign, putting up posters and setting up a Facebook appeal on the social networking site.
She discovered her postman had seen two large white men, who were possibly from Eastern Europe, driving a large white van, who towed “Audrey” away at around 10am.
You may also want to watch:
Jo contacted police again, but CCTV and Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) have not come up with any leads.
“I’m totally devastated,” said Jo.
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
“A campervan is more than just a vehicle - she definitely isn’t fast or particularly fuel efficient but she had bags of style and personality.”
In the last year, six camper vans have been stolen in Clapton.
DC Mike Edon, from Hackney’s Motor Vehicle Unit, said: “We have unfortunately exhausted all lines of enquiry with this case.
“Anyone who thinks they may have seen this vehicle or has any information concerning it should contact 0300 123 1212.”
To see Jo’s Facebook page go to http://on.fb.me/eLX7yX