Man fined for smoking in Lower Clapton club
Owner also slapped with fine for man sparking up.
A MAN has been fined �50 for smoking in a social club after Hackney Council prosecuted him and the owner.
Adnan Sozuguzel, 53, of Pownall Road, Haggerston, pleaded guilty to smoking in the Turkish Social Club in Clarence Road, Lower Clapton, in November 2009.
Mehmet Erdem, 44 of Clarence Road and the owner of the club, pleaded guilty to failing to prevent smoking in a smoke free premises.
Both appeared at Thames Magistrates Court on Wednesday September 22 where Sozuguzel was hit with a �50 fine and conditional discharge of 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
Erdem was ordered to pay �100 and given a conditional discharge of 18 months.
Both men face being prosecuted if smoking is found to take place at the premises.
- 1 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 2 Fatal Gillett Square shooting shines spotlight on crime hotspot
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Two arrests in Dalston fatal shooting investigation
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Pub managers in Hackney tell how life is since lockdown eased
- 6 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Hackney's Miss London makes it to Miss England final
- 8 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 9 Dalston shooting victim named by police
- 10 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
Since July 2007 it has been against the law to smoke in all enclosed public spaces.