Man nearly died after Portuguese Mafia gang gatecrashed Hackney party

CCTV images of the youths carrying belts

CCTV images of the youths carrying belts - Credit: Archant

A gang of thugs gatecrashed a house party in Edmeston Close, Homerton, posted on Blackberry social media and nearly killed a man by stabbing him, and beating him with bottles and belts.

Juranir Silverte Gomes-Monterio

Juranir Silverte Gomes-Monterio - Credit: Archant

Up to 20 people were invited to the party in Edmeston Close, Homerton, on Sunday, October 28 through BlackBerry messenger, but 30 uninvited guests, described by police as the “Portuguese Mafia” gang, turned up.

One of the gang, Juranir Silverte Gomes-Monterio, 18, from Hackney, was sentenced on Friday for his part in the violence and police are appealing for help to find the others.

Witnesses in the flat, which was packed with people, described the chain of events as being “very fast, furious and confusing”, as some of the gatecrashers launched a violent attack and several assaults.

Two victims, one of whom never came forward to give evidence to police, escaped and ran off down the road but were chased by up to 10 youths.

One of them, an 18-year-old, fell over during the chase and was set upon by the gang.

The victim received 11 separate lacerations and stab wounds and sustained a serious facial injury after his head was stamped on.

Most Read

He still suffers mobility problems because of injuries to his back muscles.

When police arrived they were attacked by a crowd and in court were described as having to fend off “waves of attackers armed with knives and bottles”.

The police’s territorial support group was drafted in to help.

Police officers realised if they waited for an ambulance the 18-year-old may die.

As Pc Kevin Rowland drove to hospital using blue lights, Pc Timothy Hickford held the victim’s wounds to stem the bleeding.

Both were commended by trial judge Recorder David Holborn.

Det Con Kevin Ives, from Hackney CID, said: “A known south London gang, the Portuguese Mafia, were evidently involved in this attack, which spread into the street in a horrific display of brutal violence and could very easily have killed the victim had the officers not saved his life.

“Police officers, partygoers and the victim were all put through a horrific ordeal.


“There were a large number of witnesses in the case, but there are no willing witnesses at all, they are scared, there’s no doubt, but it’s important they do come forward – the community should stand up and not let violent gangs commit violent crimes in public places.”

Gomes-Monterio was identified after his DNA was found on a grey woollen hat recovered from the scene.

He was charged with grievous bodily harm, possession of an offensive weapon and violent disorder, and found guilty of all charges except violent disorder after a trial in May at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

He was given nine years in a young offenders’ institute for GBH, with a further 12 months to run concurrently for possessing an offensive weapon.