Man tasered when crowds gather after teen shooting in Lower Clapton
A teenager’s shooting sparked a tense stand-off between police and an angry mob in which a youth was tasered on Sunday night (Sept 25).
Police were called to the Clapton Park Estate just before 8.30pm after they received reports of “several” gunshots being fired in Gilpin Square.
Officers and ambulance crews arrived to find a 19-year-old man suffering from a “non life-threatening” gunshot wound in his back, and he was taken to hospital.
An hour after the shooting, while police were still investigating in the square, crowds gathered and police reinforcements, supported by firearms officers, were brought in.
A Met police spokesman said: “A male from the crowd because hostile and violent towards officers and a taser deployed.”
You may also want to watch:
An 83-year-old pensioner, who witnessed the stand-off from his balcony, told the Gazette: “There were about 40 to 50 police officers and there must have been about 100 people assembled in the square. Tensions were running high.”
Detectives are appealing for witnesses to the shooting and say the suspects were a group of black youths, aged 15 to 18, who were all wearing dark clothing and hooded tops. They were believed to be on bicycles.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
Anyone with information should contact the Trident incident room on 0208 217 7385 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
*A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and bailed to attend Stoke Newington Police Station on October 20, pending further enquiries.
*A 19-year-old appeared at Thames Magistrates Court on Tuesday charged with assault and racially aggravated public disorder. He was released on bail to return to the court on October 11.