Man who spat on council staff banned from Dalston’s Gillett Square with ASBO
- Credit: Archant
A man who spat at town hall staff and harassed passers-by has been handed an ASBO banning him from parts of Dalston for five years.
Carl Prescod was regularly drunk, abusive and violent in the area around Gillett Square – making life a misery for those who lived and worked nearby.
The 49-year old from Stoke Newington was the subject of many complaints to the police and Hackney Council after he had harassed intimidated residents and business owners.
Prescod also assaulted and spat at two council community safety wardens who were responding to complaints about him over the summer.
Sgt James Reynolds, of Dalston Safer Neighbourhoods Team, said Prescod’s presence had “blighted the area”. “Prescod has consistently shown no respect for the local community by his abusive and volatile behaviour,” he added.
You may also want to watch:
The police and town hall applied to the courts for an anti-social behaviour order (ASBO), which was granted at a sentence hearing at East London Magistrates’ Court on November 12.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 4 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 7 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 8 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 9 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 10 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
The conditions of the order are that he must not enter the area bounded by Kingsland High Street, John Campbell Road, Boleyn Road, Bradbury Road and Gillett Square, and must not be in possession of any open container of alcohol, unless in a public house, in the E8 and N16 postcode areas.
Deputy Mayor Cllr Sophie Linden, said they had spent a lot of time trying to help Mr Prescod without success.
“We were left with few other options but to secure this ASBO, as his behaviour was causing a real concern to everyone in and around Gillett Square,” she said.