Men jailed after drug robbery ‘goes wrong’

Lamont Roper

Lamont Roper - Credit: Archant

A robber has been jailed for seven-and-a-half years for conspiring to steal drugs off a man with an associate who was fatally stabbed by their target.

Clapton resident, Lamont Roper, 18, of Wigan House in Warwick Grove was also sentenced to three additional months in prison for refusing to disclose the PIN on his mobile phone following the fatal incident on January 9 at the Old Bailey on Tuesday last week.

Jaydee Dorsett, 20, Maryland Court, Wood Green – the target of the robbery – was tried alongside Roper and jailed for life for murdering Isaiah Ekpaloba. He will serve a minimum of 12 years before being eligible for parole.

The court heard how Roper and the deceased had taken a cab to Dorsett’s address in order to steal drugs from him.

The pair forced their way into Dorsett’s house and stabbed him.

But during the fight, Ekpaloba was also injured and he and Roper fled the scene and attempted to take off in the waiting minicab.

CCTV footage showed Dorsett, who had pursued the pair, open the back passenger door, where Ekpaloba was seated, and stab him before the car pulled away.

Most Read

The driver took Ekpaloba to a hospital but he later died from a stab wound to the chest.

Police were then called to the scene of the stabbing and found Dorsett covered in blood at his flat.

Officers also recovered a number of knives inside – one which had the blade snapped off, indicating the ferociousness of the struggle.

Dorsett was taken to Royal London Hospital where he was treated for his injuries and then subsequently charged for the murder.

Det Ch Insp Dave Whellams of the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: “Whatever the circumstances of that day, Jaydee Dorsett did not need to pursue Isaiah Ekpaloba and Lamont Roper into the street.

“Dorsett chose to continue the violence by arming himself and attacking the pair as they attempted to flee the scene in a minicab.”

He added: “The events of that day show the destructive consequences carrying and using knives can have; one young man has been brutally murdered while another will spend a considerable amount of time in prison as a result of his actions.”

Roper also pleaded guilty on the first day of the trial to two separate robbery offences in Finsbury Park Train Station which took place on 10 April 2014, and was sentenced to three-and-a-half years to run

concurrently with his other sentence.