Moped smash and grab robbery gang from Islington, Camden and Hackney will be sentenced today
- Credit: PA
A moped gang from Islington, Camden and Hackney who carried out a £1million spree of armed raids on mobile phone shops will be sentenced today.
Police believe the mob, armed with hammers, knives, angle grinders and a battering ram, were behind 17 burglaries in stores across east and north London.
During one of the robberies a witness was threatened with a firearm and security staff were beaten as they guarded the shops overnight, police said.
The 10 men either admitted or were convicted of taking part in the burglaries, which took place between May and November last year.
They will appear before the Old Bailey today.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Superintendent Sean Yates, of Operation Venice which investigates moped-enabled crime, previously said: “This case has led to dangerous individuals being taken off the streets; ultimately stopping them from committing more offences and causing serious injury to potential victims.
“We are committed to relentlessly pursue those violent criminals who blight the communities they live in.”
- 1 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 2 Boat party organiser pleads guilty to breaking Covid rules during lockdown
- 3 All Points East: Meet east London artist Olivia Dean
- 4 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 5 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 6 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 8 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 9 Hackney New School to complain to Ofcom over damning ITV report
- 10 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in