MP Diane Abbott sacked as shadow health minister
- Credit: Archant
The MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington was axed from the shadow cabinet as part of reshuffle by Labour today.
Diane Abbot lost her role as shadow public health minister in the move by leader of the opposition Ed Miliband.
Ms Abbott is reported to have said Mr Miliband “was very nice about it”
She expressed regret about no longer working with the health team but vowed to continue to work on issues she was passionate about such as “the sexualisation of women and girls”.
She also said she planned to enjoy being a “free agent” on the backbenches and “go back to campaigning for Hackney in a way that I did not have the freedom to when I was a frontbench spokeswoman”.
You may also want to watch:
She admitted she was concerned about the “effects of austerity” on the borough in the form of services and job cuts, something which could be mitigated if Trident was scrapped.
Ms Abbott was first appointed to the role by Miliband in October 2010, shortly after she stood for party leadership.
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
She also criticised the party’s stance on immigration and said she had long despaired of the party’s “downward spiral” on the subject.