MP Diane Abbott sacked as shadow health minister
- Credit: Archant
The MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington was axed from the shadow cabinet as part of reshuffle by Labour today.
Diane Abbot lost her role as shadow public health minister in the move by leader of the opposition Ed Miliband.
Ms Abbott is reported to have said Mr Miliband “was very nice about it”
She expressed regret about no longer working with the health team but vowed to continue to work on issues she was passionate about such as “the sexualisation of women and girls”.
She also said she planned to enjoy being a “free agent” on the backbenches and “go back to campaigning for Hackney in a way that I did not have the freedom to when I was a frontbench spokeswoman”.
You may also want to watch:
She admitted she was concerned about the “effects of austerity” on the borough in the form of services and job cuts, something which could be mitigated if Trident was scrapped.
Ms Abbott was first appointed to the role by Miliband in October 2010, shortly after she stood for party leadership.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing
She also criticised the party’s stance on immigration and said she had long despaired of the party’s “downward spiral” on the subject.