MP Diane Abbott sacked as shadow health minister
- Credit: Archant
The MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington was axed from the shadow cabinet as part of reshuffle by Labour today.
Diane Abbot lost her role as shadow public health minister in the move by leader of the opposition Ed Miliband.
Ms Abbott is reported to have said Mr Miliband “was very nice about it”
She expressed regret about no longer working with the health team but vowed to continue to work on issues she was passionate about such as “the sexualisation of women and girls”.
She also said she planned to enjoy being a “free agent” on the backbenches and “go back to campaigning for Hackney in a way that I did not have the freedom to when I was a frontbench spokeswoman”.
You may also want to watch:
She admitted she was concerned about the “effects of austerity” on the borough in the form of services and job cuts, something which could be mitigated if Trident was scrapped.
Ms Abbott was first appointed to the role by Miliband in October 2010, shortly after she stood for party leadership.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
She also criticised the party’s stance on immigration and said she had long despaired of the party’s “downward spiral” on the subject.