Murder appeal launched, 13 ‘horrendous’ years after crime

Marvin Couson in hospital after he was shot

Marvin Couson in hospital after he was shot - Credit: Archant

The family of a man who died after being shot 13 years ago outside what is now the Queen of Hoxton pub, in Shoreditch, have appealed for witnesses to look at a photo of him suffering in hospital and break their silence to help track down his murderer.

Marvin Couson, two weeks before he was shot

Marvin Couson, two weeks before he was shot - Credit: Archant

Marvin Couson, 39 had been confined to a hospital bed unable to communicate or do anything for himself since he was shot in May 2002.

But he tragically succumbed to his injuries on Saturday August 8 and and a murder investigation has now been launched after a post-mortem examination gave the cause of his death as a brain injury suffered as a direct result of the shooting.

Mr Couson was just 26 when he was shot in his chest just after 3.30am on Saturday May 12 outside the Lime in London Bar – which was known as the Lime Bar - in Curtain Road, Shoreditch.

He had been at a commercial party packed out with about 600 people with his cousin and a friend.

But they fled, along with hundreds of others, when shots were fired inside the bar.

Mr Coulson, of Dallington Road, West Norwood, was left fighting for his life, with injuries to his heart and other internal organs, and after an operation at the Royal London Hospital, he was transferred to the Royal Hospital for Neuro-Disability in Putney, where he has been ever since, unable to communicate, care for himself or leave his hospital bed.

Most Read

His sisters Margaret and Deborah said: “Marvin’s suffering has now ended, but ours has only begun. We have visited him every single day and he was not alone when he passed away.

“We want people to look at the picture of Marvin suffering and realise that this is real.

“By staying silent and not helping police you have allowed the murderer to walk free. The person who pulled the trigger needs to be caught and we need justice for Marvin.”

DCI Noel McHugh from the Homicide and Major Crime Command who is leading the investigation believes potential witnesses did not speak to police at the time, and urged them to come forward with any information.

He said: “I would ask those reluctant to speak to police to look at the picture of Marvin lying in his hospital bed and think of his mum and dad when pondering ‘do I make that call?’

He continued: “It was 13 years ago but people would remember if they were there that night, particularly if they fled the venue in panic at the sound of shots fired.

“A lot changes in 13 years and maybe you knew something at the time but were too nervous to speak to us.

“Marvin and his family have been robbed of all the things we take for granted, his family have endured 13 horrendous years and now they no longer have Marvin and they do not have the answers they deserve.

“Maybe you have heard talk over the years about Marvin’s shooting - if you can help please contact us.”

Mr Coulson’s friend saw a red or burgundy Ford Fiesta driving fast along Curtain Road, which he believes contained at least two black men, and the vehicle struck him and he grappled with the front seat passenger.

A gun was then fired and the friend walked back towards the bar to see Marvin lying shot on the ground.

Trident officers took on the case and made several witness appeals, and one man was arrested 11 days after the incident, but subsequently released.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8785 8099 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.