Mystery remains of how burned man was found close to death
- Credit: Archant
Police are desperately trying to work out how an Algerian man came to be found half naked and close to death with mysterious burns on his body.
Bilel Ayadi, 34, remains in a medically induced coma at a west London hospital after being found with burns to his torso and neck in Woodberry Grove, near Finsbury Park, just after 11pm on Monday March 23.
Mr Ayadi, who had lived in the UK for six years and South Tottenham for the past year and a half, has not been able to provide any information about what happened to him, but his family have now come forward after a police appeal to identify him last week.
His brother, Abderrezak Ayadi, appealed for anyone with information to come forward.
He said: “Bilel is my brother and at this moment he is lying in hospital with terrible injuries. Imagine if this was someone from your family? We just need to find out exactly what happened to him.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ayadi had been suffering from depression recently but police do not believe he had been prescribed any medication.
Officers have scoured CCTV footage and have now established Mr Ayadi was already bare chested at 10.30pm that night as he walked down Broad Lane, South Tottenham, towards Seven Sisters tube station, where he crossed High Road and continued down Seven Sisters Road.
- 1 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 5 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
Mr Ayadi, who is about 5ft 11inches tall and of medium build then turned right into Green Lanes and right again into Woodberry Grove where he was spotted by two security guards who alerted emergency services.
DC Anwen Clissold of Hackney CID who is leading the investigation said: “Bilel would have been very distinctive given that he was bare-chested while walking through north London for two miles.
“It may well be that he was already injured as he made his way through the streets.
“We are still trying to establish what has caused his burns but what we do know is that a young man has sustained some very serious injuries - I need to find out how.”
Officers are still trying to trace a person who is believed to have spoken with him on Seven Sisters Road, opposite the junction with Amhurst Park.
Anyone with information should call police on 101 quoting CAD6543/29MARCH15.