Officer was shot in shoulder on mission to recover gun in Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Scotland Yard has issued a statement after a police officer was shot at lunchtime today, during an operation by the Met’s Trident gang crime unit in Haggerston.
One man was arrested after the incident in Scriven Street at 12.45pm.
The wounded DC from the Trident Area Crime Command is now in a ‘stable’ condition in an east London hospital.
Commander Duncan Ball from the Met’s Specialist Crime and Operations said: “The firearms incident earlier today illustrates the very real risks that police officers take on behalf of the public to keep London safe.
“The intelligence led operation sought to recover a firearm and apprehend those in possession of it.
You may also want to watch:
“At this early stage it has been established the officer received a gunshot wound through the shoulder during the operation - and an investigation is underway to establish the full circumstances of the incident.
He continued: “We would ask that the officer and his family’s privacy are respected at this time, including the reproduction of images of the injuries he has suffered or speculation on his identity.”
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 4 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 5 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 7 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 Meet the Wonder Warriors – the charity helping women with endometriosis
- 10 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
A non-police firearm was recovered from the scene.
A 31-year-old man was arrested at the scene and taken into custody.
Scriven Street was taped off to traffic this afternoon along with Haggerston Road, Lovelace Street and Clarissa Street.