Officer was shot in shoulder on mission to recover gun in Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Scotland Yard has issued a statement after a police officer was shot at lunchtime today, during an operation by the Met’s Trident gang crime unit in Haggerston.
One man was arrested after the incident in Scriven Street at 12.45pm.
The wounded DC from the Trident Area Crime Command is now in a ‘stable’ condition in an east London hospital.
Commander Duncan Ball from the Met’s Specialist Crime and Operations said: “The firearms incident earlier today illustrates the very real risks that police officers take on behalf of the public to keep London safe.
“The intelligence led operation sought to recover a firearm and apprehend those in possession of it.
You may also want to watch:
“At this early stage it has been established the officer received a gunshot wound through the shoulder during the operation - and an investigation is underway to establish the full circumstances of the incident.
He continued: “We would ask that the officer and his family’s privacy are respected at this time, including the reproduction of images of the injuries he has suffered or speculation on his identity.”
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
A non-police firearm was recovered from the scene.
A 31-year-old man was arrested at the scene and taken into custody.
Scriven Street was taped off to traffic this afternoon along with Haggerston Road, Lovelace Street and Clarissa Street.