Officer was shot in shoulder on mission to recover gun in Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Scotland Yard has issued a statement after a police officer was shot at lunchtime today, during an operation by the Met’s Trident gang crime unit in Haggerston.
One man was arrested after the incident in Scriven Street at 12.45pm.
The wounded DC from the Trident Area Crime Command is now in a ‘stable’ condition in an east London hospital.
Commander Duncan Ball from the Met’s Specialist Crime and Operations said: “The firearms incident earlier today illustrates the very real risks that police officers take on behalf of the public to keep London safe.
“The intelligence led operation sought to recover a firearm and apprehend those in possession of it.
You may also want to watch:
“At this early stage it has been established the officer received a gunshot wound through the shoulder during the operation - and an investigation is underway to establish the full circumstances of the incident.
He continued: “We would ask that the officer and his family’s privacy are respected at this time, including the reproduction of images of the injuries he has suffered or speculation on his identity.”
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
A non-police firearm was recovered from the scene.
A 31-year-old man was arrested at the scene and taken into custody.
Scriven Street was taped off to traffic this afternoon along with Haggerston Road, Lovelace Street and Clarissa Street.