Old Street acid attack: Man could go blind in one eye after horrifying assault during night out
- Credit: Archant
A man could be left blind in one eye after having acid sprayed in his face outside Bounce Bar in Old Street.
Detectives in Hackney have released CCTV footage of the horrific attack in the early hours of Sunday September 17 and have published an image of a man they want to speak to.
The 26-year-old victim was with friends when they were approached by a man outside the table tennis bar. He tried to sell them laughing gas but they declined.
Hours later, at about 5.25am, they saw him again and as they walked past him he sprayed the victim with liquid, a small amount of which also went on his friend.
Medics were called and the victim went to a nearby shop and doused his face in water. He was taken to hospital with burns and life-changing injuries that could result in him losing sight in one eye.
You may also want to watch:
Tests are still being done to determine what the substance he was sprayed with was.
The suspect is a 6ft middle-eastern or light-skinned black man in his mid to late 20s. He was wearing dark clothing and a Gucci belt with a gold buckle.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
Det Con Dave Barrett of Hackney Police, said: “This was a violent, unprovoked and cowardly attack by a troublemaker who has left his victim with life-changing injuries.
“We would urge anybody who recognises the man in the picture, or who was in the area at the time and may have information that could assist our investigation to get in touch.”
Any witnesses or anyone with any information can call Hackney police on 101 or contact via Twitter @MetCC.
To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org