Footage captures ‘savage and callous’ beating that saw unconscious man kicked in head as he lay in Old Street
- Credit: police
Police investigating a “savage and callous” attack on a young man that saw him kicked in the head as he was lying unconscious have released CCTV footage of the incident.
The 26-year-old victim can be seen being punched in the face as he stands outside the B@1 bar in Old Street at about 1.45am on October 8.
The blow knocks him to the pavement, leaving him unconscious.
His attacker then kicks the victim in the face three or four times before heading east along Old Street. Fortunately an off-duty nurse was passing and gave first aid before the man was rushed to hospital.
He suffered serious injuries including a broken nose and a fractured eye socket, as well as facial cuts.
You may also want to watch:
Six weeks on, his vision is still blurred and he needs ongoing dental treatment for a dislodged tooth.
Det Insp Paul Ridley told the Gazette the attack was “sudden and unexpected”.
- 1 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 2 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 3 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 6 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 7 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 8 Teenagers shot and stabbed in Hackney
- 9 'Arrested for being on my balcony', a young black man speaks out
- 10 £20,000 reward for information on Stoke Newington murder
“We aren’t aware of any commotion inside the bar, but outside the suspect struck the victim in the face quickly and without warning. The footage is dramatic, and the attack is so quick – he never stood a chance,” he said.
“It was truly savage the way it was executed. It was one boxer’s punch so quick and sharp the victim wouldn’t have seen it coming.
“It’s particularly vicious, but what makes it more callous is that when he is on the floor unconscious the suspect kicks him, not knowing the condition of the victim.”
Police want to speak to the man pictured in the CCTV images to help with their inquiries.
Anyone with information or who witnessed the incident is asked to call 07825 793212 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org.