Parking warden video: Appeal for witnesses to Lower Clapton brawl that saw contractor ‘run over man’s foot’
- Credit: Archant
Police investigating a street brawl in Lower Clapton during which a traffic warden allegedly ran over a man’s foot on a moped are appealing for witnesses.
CCTV footage and videos taken by passers-by on mobile phones captured the mass brawl in Leaside Road, Lower Clapton.
The traffic warden is accused of lashing out with his radio and helmet in the altercation, which happened on Monday afternoon just before 2pm,
The crowd of men, who can be heard shouting “citizen’s arrest” in one of the videos, held the parking warden on the ground until police arrived.
But Hackney Council claims the warden – who was wearing a body camera – had been subjected to “intimidation, threats and harrassment” in the lead-up to the incident.
Scotland Yard said four men, aged in their 20s and 30s, suffered minor injuries during the incident, but did not require hospital treatment.
A 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and has been bailed until February.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 4 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 5 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 6 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 7 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 8 Police launch probe into Stamford Hill flat blaze
- 9 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Officers have now appealed for witnesses or for anyone with footage of the row to get in touch so they can “build a full picture of the incident”.
Supt Jo Edwards from Hackney said: “The footage circulating online at the moment only shows a snapshot of what happened, which is why it is important for people to come forward.
“We are aware of comments being made on social media and we want to make it clear that we take all allegations of crime seriously, and a full investigation will be carried out to establish the full facts of the incident.”
Hackney Council’s transport chief Feryal Demirci said the town hall is “seeking to have charges pressed against some of those involved in the incident against the warden”, who is a contractor working for parking management company APCOA.
“The warden’s bodycam footage shows he was subjected to significant and unprovoked levels of intimidation, threats and harassment in the lead-up to that, which has also been captured on video by members of the public,” she added.
“He sustained a number of injuries for which he received hospital treatment. Fortunately none of them was serious.”
A spokesman for APCOA added: “We will not tolerate abuse of any kind against our staff, and we press for criminal charges to be brought against offenders wherever possible.”
Any witnesses or anyone with information is asked to call police via 101.