Passengers ‘run for their lives’ as firework lobbed into Hackney Central Overground train
- Credit: @anabilciu
Passengers “ran for their lives” after a lit firework was chucked into a carriage full of families on an Overgound train at Hackney Central last night.
Police are trying to trace the culprit who threw the firework through open doors as the train was stationary on a platform.
Panicked passengers who ran screaming and shouting off the train thought the explosive could have been a bomb or gunshot.
Jimmy Ness wrote on Twitter: “Just had a bomb scare on the overground in Hackney. closest I’ve thought I was to dying. someone threw a firework.”
Another person described how people were “running for their lives” in fear.
You may also want to watch:
No one is believed to have been injured in the incident, which took place last night at around 6.40pm.
A spokesman from British Transport Police said: “Enquiries are underway to identify who is responsible and officers are appealing to any passengers who witnessed the incident to get in touch.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
Anyone with information is asked to text 61016 or call 0800 40 50 40 quoting 360 of 6/11.