Passengers ‘run for their lives’ as firework lobbed into Hackney Central Overground train
- Credit: @anabilciu
Passengers “ran for their lives” after a lit firework was chucked into a carriage full of families on an Overgound train at Hackney Central last night.
Police are trying to trace the culprit who threw the firework through open doors as the train was stationary on a platform.
Panicked passengers who ran screaming and shouting off the train thought the explosive could have been a bomb or gunshot.
Jimmy Ness wrote on Twitter: “Just had a bomb scare on the overground in Hackney. closest I’ve thought I was to dying. someone threw a firework.”
Another person described how people were “running for their lives” in fear.
You may also want to watch:
No one is believed to have been injured in the incident, which took place last night at around 6.40pm.
A spokesman from British Transport Police said: “Enquiries are underway to identify who is responsible and officers are appealing to any passengers who witnessed the incident to get in touch.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 10 Hackney poet captures readers' lockdown turmoil in verse
Anyone with information is asked to text 61016 or call 0800 40 50 40 quoting 360 of 6/11.