Passengers ‘run for their lives’ as firework lobbed into Hackney Central Overground train
- Credit: @anabilciu
Passengers “ran for their lives” after a lit firework was chucked into a carriage full of families on an Overgound train at Hackney Central last night.
Police are trying to trace the culprit who threw the firework through open doors as the train was stationary on a platform.
Panicked passengers who ran screaming and shouting off the train thought the explosive could have been a bomb or gunshot.
Jimmy Ness wrote on Twitter: “Just had a bomb scare on the overground in Hackney. closest I’ve thought I was to dying. someone threw a firework.”
Another person described how people were “running for their lives” in fear.
No one is believed to have been injured in the incident, which took place last night at around 6.40pm.
A spokesman from British Transport Police said: “Enquiries are underway to identify who is responsible and officers are appealing to any passengers who witnessed the incident to get in touch.”
- 1 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 6 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 7 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 8 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 9 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 10 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
Anyone with information is asked to text 61016 or call 0800 40 50 40 quoting 360 of 6/11.