Pervert walks free after repeatedly exposing himself to Shoreditch neighbour
A “peculiar” father who repeatedly pleasured himself in full view of a horrified neighbour was let off with a community order yesterday (Wednesday).
Steven King, 27, touched himself while he stared through his bedroom window at a woman living opposite him in Shoreditch.
He deliberately put his light on so the disgusted neighbour could see what he was doing, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
Prosecutor Navneet Sher told the court King exposed himself in front of the victim at least eight times between last August and January 30, when the woman finally called the police.
King, who received a police caution in 2008 for a similar offence when he drunkenly flashed a neighbour, admitted three counts of exposure.
You may also want to watch:
Helen Ahmet, defending, said King suffered from depression and felt isolated after his girlfriend, the mother of his child, moved away.
“He was getting attention from that kind of behaviour, which was alleviating the stress and tension he was finding himself in at the time,” she said.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 8 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
Sentencing him to a three-year community order, Judge Tudor Owen said: “The complainant didn’t report it straight away and you seemed to think she didn’t mind.
“Maybe she was laughing at you at first and thought you were a complete idiot.
“But it is distressing for people. Your behaviour is peculiar and one is concerned where it may lead.
“I have great reservations but I am going to take a chance and make a community order.”
Judge Owen also ordered King to enrol in a sexual offences programme, adding: “This is very much a deal and if you don’t keep to it, you will be back to court and go to jail.”
King, of The Withy Windle, South Woodham Ferrers, Chelmsford, must also sign the sex offenders’ register for five years.