Pistol and ammo found under a brick in Lower Clapton
A self-loading pistol and ammunition were discovered in a bag under a brick in Lower Clapton by police yesterday (Monday).
The gun was found in a communal area near a residential block off Clapton Square.
After a found is fired by the handgun, which is also known as a semi-automatic pistol, the spent casing is ejected and a new round from the magazine is loaded into the chamber, allowing more shots to be fired as soon as the trigger is pulled.
DCI Gary Bruce of Trident North East Shootings team, which deals with gun and gang crime, said: “This firearm will be subject of a thorough investigation by Trident detectives to trace, arrest and convict those who had it in their possession illegally.
“Anyone who has information about the gun or who witnessed it being discarded should contact Trident or Crimestoppers.”
Anyone with information about the gun is asked to contact Trident on 020 8217 7377 or to call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 2 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 3 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 4 Mother of son lost to knife crime honoured by the Queen
- 5 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 6 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 7 De Beauvoir to house UK's first East and South-East Asian resource centre
- 8 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 9 UK's 'home of baking' to open third venue in Haggerston
- 10 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment