Police appeal for witnesses after 50-year-old man is assaulted in Hackney Central
- Credit: Archant
A 50-year-old man was knocked unconscious and left with serious head injuries in a bustling area of Hackney on Friday night.
Officers were called to the scene of the attack in Kenmure Road, next to the junction with Gould Terrace, at around 10.30pm and the victim is currently in a serious condition in hospital.
Hackney Police said it is keeping an open mind about the motive and circumstances, and has appealed for witnesses to come forward.
Det Sgt Paul Ridley, of the Hackney violent crime unit investigation team, said: “I am aware there were several people present at the scene who are yet to be traced. It is vital we speak to the outstanding witnesses in order to establish the full events leading up to the victim becoming unconscious in the street.
“The Mare Street Narrow Way is a bustling area, particularly on a Friday evening and I am convinced that someone walking past would have seen the incident.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman from the London Ambulance service said: “On Friday, we received a report of an assault at 10.30pm. We treated a man for a serious head injury and he was taken as a priority to hospital.”
A 37-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident on Friday and was charged the following day with grievous bodily harm.
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 3 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 8 Corbyn slams 'spy cops' in peace group as 'disgraceful interference'
- 9 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
He is due to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 18.
Anyone with information should call Hackney Police on 101, quoting reference number 4627086/13.
Those wishing to remain anonymous should call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.