Police appeal for witnesses after 50-year-old man is assaulted in Hackney Central
- Credit: Archant
A 50-year-old man was knocked unconscious and left with serious head injuries in a bustling area of Hackney on Friday night.
Officers were called to the scene of the attack in Kenmure Road, next to the junction with Gould Terrace, at around 10.30pm and the victim is currently in a serious condition in hospital.
Hackney Police said it is keeping an open mind about the motive and circumstances, and has appealed for witnesses to come forward.
Det Sgt Paul Ridley, of the Hackney violent crime unit investigation team, said: “I am aware there were several people present at the scene who are yet to be traced. It is vital we speak to the outstanding witnesses in order to establish the full events leading up to the victim becoming unconscious in the street.
“The Mare Street Narrow Way is a bustling area, particularly on a Friday evening and I am convinced that someone walking past would have seen the incident.”
A spokeswoman from the London Ambulance service said: “On Friday, we received a report of an assault at 10.30pm. We treated a man for a serious head injury and he was taken as a priority to hospital.”
A 37-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident on Friday and was charged the following day with grievous bodily harm.
- 1 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney
- 2 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 3 Hackney woman fined £12,000 for hosting birthday bash a day after No 10 parties
- 4 Hackney groups respond to permanent Homerton LTN
- 5 Sentencing delayed for 'audacious' fraudster who conned Hackney hotel staff
- 6 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 7 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 8 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 9 Men jailed after violent Mare Street robberies
- 10 Convicted: Met special constable who assaulted man in custody
He is due to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 18.
Anyone with information should call Hackney Police on 101, quoting reference number 4627086/13.
Those wishing to remain anonymous should call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.