Police: Commuter robbed on Hackney Downs train - do you recognise these women?
A sleeping commuter was allegedly robbed of his iphone by two women and then assaulted by a group of men when he awoke and tried to give chase.
British Transport Police (BTP) have released CCTV images of two women they would like to speak to in connection with the incident, which they say happened as the 28-year-old man dozed on a train between Hackney Downs Station and Rectory Road Station at about 6.40pm on Monday, August 8.
BTP’s Det Con Steve McBride said: “The victim was travelling on the 6.05pm National Express East Anglia service from Liverpool Street to Cheshunt when he fell asleep.
“During the journey, two females boarded the train at Hackney Downs station and sat next to victim.
“As the train pulled into the next stop, Rectory Road station, one of the women stood by the doors while the second women snatched the phone from the victim’s hand.
You may also want to watch:
“The victim felt someone had taken his phone and as he got up to give chase, he was blocked by a group of men before being assaulted, which caused a superficial facial injury.
“As part of our enquiries into this incident we’ve followed up a number of leads but to no avail so far.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
“BTP takes theft and assault offences very seriously and we are now appealing for members of the public to come forward and assist with the police investigation.
“If you were on the train at the same time or recognise the two women pictured in the CCTV images, I urge you to get in contact.”
One of the women is described as being dark-skinned, 5ft 3in tall, between 18 and 20 years old, and her hair was dyed-red. She was wearing black trousers, a black jacket with the hood up and had distinctive pale grey eyes, possibly due to contact lenses.
The second woman is described as black, 5ft 7in, of slim build and between 18 and 20 years old. She had short black hair in a ponytail, and was wearing dark trousers and a jacket, with a white top.
Anyone with information should call BTP on 0800 40 50 40, quoting reference B4/LNA of 06/09/2011. People may also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.