Police shoot man during armed robbery in Lower Clapton
- Credit: MPS
An investigation has been launched after police shot a man during an armed robbery near the Clapton Park Estate late last night.
Hackney police and firearm officers were called to Mandeville Street in Lower Clapton at 10.50pm after reports of an armed robbery of a vehicle.
Scotland Yard say a police gun was fired and a man was injured. He was taken to hospital, where his condition is not yet known.
Police watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating what happened, and the Directorate of Professional Standards has been told.
The IOPC said on Twitter: “We’re investigating a Met Police shooting in which a man has been injured in Hackney, London in the early hours of this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“The man was taken to the Royal London Hospital. Our investigators are at the scene and post-incident procedure making initial enquiries.”
No one else was injured in the incident.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 9 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
Police this morning taped off part of Lordship Road in Stoke Newington and Scotland Yard said their presence was linked to the shooting last night.