Police shoot man during armed robbery in Lower Clapton
- Credit: MPS
An investigation has been launched after police shot a man during an armed robbery near the Clapton Park Estate late last night.
Hackney police and firearm officers were called to Mandeville Street in Lower Clapton at 10.50pm after reports of an armed robbery of a vehicle.
Scotland Yard say a police gun was fired and a man was injured. He was taken to hospital, where his condition is not yet known.
Police watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating what happened, and the Directorate of Professional Standards has been told.
The IOPC said on Twitter: “We’re investigating a Met Police shooting in which a man has been injured in Hackney, London in the early hours of this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“The man was taken to the Royal London Hospital. Our investigators are at the scene and post-incident procedure making initial enquiries.”
No one else was injured in the incident.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
Police this morning taped off part of Lordship Road in Stoke Newington and Scotland Yard said their presence was linked to the shooting last night.