Police shoot man during armed robbery in Lower Clapton
- Credit: MPS
An investigation has been launched after police shot a man during an armed robbery near the Clapton Park Estate late last night.
Hackney police and firearm officers were called to Mandeville Street in Lower Clapton at 10.50pm after reports of an armed robbery of a vehicle.
Scotland Yard say a police gun was fired and a man was injured. He was taken to hospital, where his condition is not yet known.
Police watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating what happened, and the Directorate of Professional Standards has been told.
The IOPC said on Twitter: “We’re investigating a Met Police shooting in which a man has been injured in Hackney, London in the early hours of this morning.
You may also want to watch:
“The man was taken to the Royal London Hospital. Our investigators are at the scene and post-incident procedure making initial enquiries.”
No one else was injured in the incident.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 3 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 4 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 5 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 10 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
Police this morning taped off part of Lordship Road in Stoke Newington and Scotland Yard said their presence was linked to the shooting last night.