Police watchdog investigating claims officer assaulted man in Clapton
- Credit: MPS
The police watchdog has launched an investigation after a man was allegedly assaulted by an officer in Clapton.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is appealing for witnesses to the incident at the junction of Almack Road and Powerscroft Road on May 5.
Police were at a cordon for an unrelated matter when at about 5pm a man began repeatedly approaching the cordon. He was then involved in an incident with one officer in which he sustained a cut to his head.
A referral was made to the IPCC by the Metropolitan Police Service on 11 May and a decision was made to independently investigate the officer’s use of force.
The IPCC wants to speak to anybody who saw the incident or recorded it on their phone. Witnesses can call 0800 096 9071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also want to watch:
IPCC investigators will also be carrying out enquiries in the area tonight.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 10 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow