Protesters target Shoreditch cereal cafe in ‘anti-gentrification’ protest
- Credit: Archant
A cereal cafe was attacked with paint and fire by an angry mob claiming to be against the ‘gentrification’ of east London.
The Cereal Killer Cafe in Brick Lane said about 200 protesters targeted the venue at about 8pm last night.
Police confirmed the protest was a “pre-planned event” and the march was promoted on Twitter as the “The F*ck Parade”, with the slogan “reclaim your streets, reclaim your beats.”
Tweeting about the incident, the Cereal Killer Cafe owners said: “Tonight we were attacked with paint and fire by an angry mob of 200. Riot police are on the scene.
“Staff and customers unharmed, although children were in the cafe, mob still around so stay away from Shoreditch.”
You may also want to watch:
The cafe, which was launched by brothers Alan and Gary Keery last November, opened as normal today.
The venue tweeted: “We started a business to deliver an experience to cereal lovers, and have been thanked by local businesses for bringing tourists to the area.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
“The mob won’t win, wearing masks with pitch forks and torches, it’s 2015. #hatecrime.”
A Met Police spokesman said: “Police officers dealt with disorder arising from a pre-planned event in the Shoreditch area.
“From around 8pm, a criminal element within a group of several hundred people threw missiles and caused criminal damage to shops and other businesses in and around Brick Lane.
“The group continued to move around the Shoreditch and Brick Lane area until around 12.30am [this morning].
“One officer suffered a minor injury to his face as a result of a bottle thrown.
“One person has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.”