Protesters target Shoreditch cereal cafe in ‘anti-gentrification’ protest
- Credit: Archant
A cereal cafe was attacked with paint and fire by an angry mob claiming to be against the ‘gentrification’ of east London.
The Cereal Killer Cafe in Brick Lane said about 200 protesters targeted the venue at about 8pm last night.
Police confirmed the protest was a “pre-planned event” and the march was promoted on Twitter as the “The F*ck Parade”, with the slogan “reclaim your streets, reclaim your beats.”
Tweeting about the incident, the Cereal Killer Cafe owners said: “Tonight we were attacked with paint and fire by an angry mob of 200. Riot police are on the scene.
“Staff and customers unharmed, although children were in the cafe, mob still around so stay away from Shoreditch.”
You may also want to watch:
The cafe, which was launched by brothers Alan and Gary Keery last November, opened as normal today.
The venue tweeted: “We started a business to deliver an experience to cereal lovers, and have been thanked by local businesses for bringing tourists to the area.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
“The mob won’t win, wearing masks with pitch forks and torches, it’s 2015. #hatecrime.”
A Met Police spokesman said: “Police officers dealt with disorder arising from a pre-planned event in the Shoreditch area.
“From around 8pm, a criminal element within a group of several hundred people threw missiles and caused criminal damage to shops and other businesses in and around Brick Lane.
“The group continued to move around the Shoreditch and Brick Lane area until around 12.30am [this morning].
“One officer suffered a minor injury to his face as a result of a bottle thrown.
“One person has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.”