Protesters target Shoreditch cereal cafe in ‘anti-gentrification’ protest
- Credit: Archant
A cereal cafe was attacked with paint and fire by an angry mob claiming to be against the ‘gentrification’ of east London.
The Cereal Killer Cafe in Brick Lane said about 200 protesters targeted the venue at about 8pm last night.
Police confirmed the protest was a “pre-planned event” and the march was promoted on Twitter as the “The F*ck Parade”, with the slogan “reclaim your streets, reclaim your beats.”
Tweeting about the incident, the Cereal Killer Cafe owners said: “Tonight we were attacked with paint and fire by an angry mob of 200. Riot police are on the scene.
“Staff and customers unharmed, although children were in the cafe, mob still around so stay away from Shoreditch.”
You may also want to watch:
The cafe, which was launched by brothers Alan and Gary Keery last November, opened as normal today.
The venue tweeted: “We started a business to deliver an experience to cereal lovers, and have been thanked by local businesses for bringing tourists to the area.
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 4 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 9 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
“The mob won’t win, wearing masks with pitch forks and torches, it’s 2015. #hatecrime.”
A Met Police spokesman said: “Police officers dealt with disorder arising from a pre-planned event in the Shoreditch area.
“From around 8pm, a criminal element within a group of several hundred people threw missiles and caused criminal damage to shops and other businesses in and around Brick Lane.
“The group continued to move around the Shoreditch and Brick Lane area until around 12.30am [this morning].
“One officer suffered a minor injury to his face as a result of a bottle thrown.
“One person has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.”