Sanchez Edwards to be sentenced today for violent robbery of woman, 92, in Hoxton
- Credit: Archant
A violent drug addict who dragged a 92-year-old woman along the pavement during a robbery in Hoxton is due to be sentenced today.
Sanchez Edwards, 28, carried out the brutal attack as the pensioner made her way to the Lawson Medical Centre off Hoxton Street on June 27.
The recently-widowed woman suffered severe bruising and was left with cracked ribs and a limp.
Edwards was a paranoid schizophrenic patient who had failed to return to the John Howard Centre in Homerton from unescorted leave in May.
He was arrested in Bethnal Green Gardens on July 10 and admitted robbery at an earlier hearing in August.
You may also want to watch:
He was initially supposed to be sentenced on October 26 but Judge Joanna Greenberg ordered a psychiatric report.
Sentencing was then supposed to take place on December 7, December 20, January 8, and January 31 – but no beds have been available at the medium secure hospital in Hertfordshire where he is earmarked to go.
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 3 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 4 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 5 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 6 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 10 Mosaic unveiled at near Finsbury Park station entrance at City North
He is finally due to be sentenced today at Wood Green Crown Court.