Sanchez Edwards to be sentenced today for violent robbery of woman, 92, in Hoxton
- Credit: Archant
A violent drug addict who dragged a 92-year-old woman along the pavement during a robbery in Hoxton is due to be sentenced today.
Sanchez Edwards, 28, carried out the brutal attack as the pensioner made her way to the Lawson Medical Centre off Hoxton Street on June 27.
The recently-widowed woman suffered severe bruising and was left with cracked ribs and a limp.
Edwards was a paranoid schizophrenic patient who had failed to return to the John Howard Centre in Homerton from unescorted leave in May.
He was arrested in Bethnal Green Gardens on July 10 and admitted robbery at an earlier hearing in August.
He was initially supposed to be sentenced on October 26 but Judge Joanna Greenberg ordered a psychiatric report.
Sentencing was then supposed to take place on December 7, December 20, January 8, and January 31 – but no beds have been available at the medium secure hospital in Hertfordshire where he is earmarked to go.
- 1 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 2 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 3 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
- 4 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 5 'The 214 to Provence: Where catching a London bus can take you'
- 6 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 10 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
He is finally due to be sentenced today at Wood Green Crown Court.