Sandra Samuels: Man charged with murdering Stoke Newington woman
- Credit: Archant
A 40-year-old man has been charged with murdering Stoke Newington woman Sandra Samuels.
Gavin Shane Carl Lewis, of no fixed address, was arrested on Tuesday and charged today.
He has been remanded in custody and will appear at the Old Bailey on Monday.
The body of Ms Samuels, 45, was discovered by police at an address in Herrick House on the Milton Gardens Estate at 1.30pm on Saturday.
Neighbours have spoken of their shock and sadness at her death. One man told the Gazette: "We spoke, I have been to her house a few times. She had a kid who lives with the father.
"She was bubbly. She liked her music. She listened to revival and reggae - I think she used to play her music in little venues as well.
"She was always one to say hello and talk to people in the building. She had a big smile.
- 1 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 2 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 3 Police launch probe into Stamford Hill flat blaze
- 4 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 6 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 7 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 8 Met defends Israeli police visit to Hackney
- 9 Police search for witness who helped rape victim
- 10 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
"When I found out I was devastated. It was a big shock, even now I can't believe it. It's crazy."
Another neighbour, Hardeep Kaur, last saw Ms Samuels a few weeks ago, when she was using a walking stick.
Hardeep said: "I can't believe she died. She was very nice, friendly, always happy."
Ms Samuels' death comes 18 months after father-of-three Daniel Frederick was murdered in Shakspeare Walk on the same estate.
Detectives are still appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to call police on 0208 345 1570.
Alternatively, call 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting CAD 4191 of August 31.