Sentenced: Clapton man who killed homeless migrant in Hackney Central

Rafal Lewzsa

Rafal Lewzsa - Credit: Archant

A 37-year-old man was jailed today for 19 months for killing a homeless Polish man who came to the UK looking for a better life.

Rafal Lewsza, 37, of Leaside Road, Clapton, was sentenced on Thursday after pleading guilty to the manslaughter of Miroslaw Glaza, 50, at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Mr Glaza, who had left behind his wife and two children in Poland to find work and carve out a better life, had been out drinking with a group of friends in Kenmore Street, Hackney Central on November 1.

The group was joined by Lewsza later that evening. An argument ensued and Lewsza punched Mr Glaza, causing him to fall face-first on the pavement.

Mr Glaza suffered a serious wound to the head during the fall and was left bleeding profusely. He was lifted up and positioned against a lamp-post but was unresponsive and was taken to Royal London Hospital by the London Ambulance Service.

A scan revealed he had suffered a bleed on the brain and he died several days later in hospital on November 6.

When police arrived at the scene, the group - including Lewsza - told officers that Mr Glaza was drunk and had fallen over.

Most Read

However, witnesses from a nearby building, who had seen the assault, told officers Lewsza was responsible.

Lewsza was arrested the same evening on suspicion of assault and charged the following day.

Following Mr Glaza’s death, he was re-arrested on suspicion of murder and later convicted of manslaughter.

Det Insp Robert Pack, from the homicide and major crime command unit, said: “Miroslaw Glaza came to the UK looking to make a better life for himself. “Despite his best efforts he never managed to secure the job he had hoped for. He was not a violent man and his death has naturally left his family and friends devastated.

“Lewsza has admitted manslaughter and whilst it is accepted that he had no intention to kill Mr Glaza, the devastating consequences have deprived a mother of her only son and two children of their dad.”

A vigil for Mr Glaza, who was a regular at a soup kitchen in Lower Clapton Road, Clapton, was held to mark his life at the spot he died in December by the London Catholic Worker community.