Shooting in Clapton - police appeal for witnesses
A 32-year-old man on his way to a stag do in Ibiza was shot in his shoulder just as he was about to get in an airport-bound minicab in Clapton.
The man and some friends were in Colne Road when two suspects, described as black men wearing dark clothing, approached them and fired a shotgun at the group before running off in the direction of Homerton High Road.
The victim is still in hospital but his condition is described by police as “stable”. No one else was injured, although the minicab, a silver Volkswagen Transporter, was damaged.
Police from Operation Trident – the Met’s unit for gun crime in the black community – are appealing for witnesses following the shooting at 3.30am on Sunday, September 4.
Trident officer Det Con Neil Whitbread said: “We are keen to hear from anyone who was in and around the Colne Road area at about 3:30am on Sunday morning.
You may also want to watch:
“Maybe you saw or heard the incident or maybe you saw the suspects running off.
“If you think you can help please call our incident room - your call will be treated in the strictest of confidence.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
“If you are concerned about coming forward, there are special measures that we can take to protect your identity and have used these measures in many successful cases.”
A 22-year-old man was arrested close to the scene. He was bailed to return to a north London police station pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8217 7366 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.