Shoreditch revellers warned of PIN card scam

Delina-Georgeta Peta

Delina-Georgeta Peta - Credit: Archant

Revellers have been warned against teams of thieves who will memorise pin numbers in bars, before stealing their bank cards.

Delina-Georgeta Peta
Ionel Dimancea

Delina-Georgeta Peta Ionel Dimancea - Credit: Archant

The warning comes after two thieves were jailed for a scam, uncovered when a 30-year-old victim realised the last time she had used her bank card was in a Hoxton bar.

The woman didn’t realise her card had been stolen until her bank called her to ask if she was shopping online, informing her someone was trying to buy £490 of goods with her card, while £500 had already been wiped from her account.

Eagle-eyed officers were able to identify two suspects in the bar area standing nearby her on CCTV, one of whom handed something to a third man who left the premises.

Delina-Georgeta Peta, 22, of Crescent Road, Dagenham and Ionel Dimancea, 47, of no fixed abode, were captured on CCTV committing a spree of thefts between May 2 and 10 in the Shoreditch area, using the method of watching a customer enter their PIN number into a card reader whilst paying for a drink at a bar. They would then steal the card and later use it to withdraw cash at a ATM.

PC Ian Steel said: “This is a good result and I hope this case highlights how easy it can be for thieves to steal your bank card and ultimately your money.

“Please always shield your PIN when entering it in a card reader and ensure your bank card is always securely on your person.”

Most Read

Peta pleaded guilty to 14 counts of theft on December 21, and she was sentenced to four months imprisonment, suspended for 24 months, on Friday January 8 at Wood Green Crown Court.

Dimancea pleaded guilty to seven counts of theft from a person and one count of theft from a meter on December 22 at Wood Green Crown Court, and was sentenced that day to eight months’ imprisonment.

He was also ordered to pay a £900 criminal courts charge and a victim surcharge of £100.

Police are still trying to find the third suspect.