Six years for knife-wielding Clapton drug addict who robbed his own friend in Stoke Newington
- Credit: Archant
A Clapton “career criminal” has been jailed – after he held a knife to the throat of his friend and robbed him.
Surinder Singh, 42, of Reighton Road, had been in the company of his 33-year-old victim on November 10 last year in Manse Road, Stoke Newington.
As they were about to part company, Singh produced a Stanley knife and held the blade to the victim’s throat demanding cash.
Believing Singh would kill him, he handed over £80 in cash before fleeing the scene. He called the police and Singh was arrested.
Singh was found guilty of robbery and possession of a bladed article at Wood Green Court on Friday and sentenced to six years’ imprisonment.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard Singh is a heroin and alcohol addict, and the judge said there was “no alternative” but jail given his history of committing violence.
Det Insp Paul Ridley, of Hackney Police, said: “Singh is a career criminal who uses extreme violence for relatively little reward to fuel his drug addiction.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
“The terrified victim genuinely believed that he would be killed by the knife wielding attacker if he did not hand over cash. Singh has shown no remorse at any time during the proceedings.
“The sentence imposed by the judge reflects the gravity of the offence and that carrying and using knifes in the streets of London will not be tolerated and lead to severe punishment.”