Smash and grab heist: robbers ram-raid Hackney office
- Credit: Archant
An office behind Kingsland Road, Haggerston was ram-raided last night, and several men were seen fleeing on motorbikes just before 10pm.
A car was used to smash into the glass-fronted building, paving the way for the thieves, who were wearing crash helmets, to grab the loot from inside.
Witnesses called police immediately but the gang made off within a couple of minutes, before Hackney police’s Task Force arrived on the scene.
Gazette reporter, Emma Bartholomew, who saw the incident said: “I heard a horrible loud noise and shouting outside, and when I looked out the window I saw a car reversing into the building.
“Then a few men dressed in black wearing crash helmets began running in and out. It looked as though they were stealing laptops and loading them onto motorbikes.
You may also want to watch:
“It happened so quickly, they were gone within seconds, I’m just amazed the car was able to drive off after the destruction.
“The scary bit was the brute aggression, seeing a car smashing into a building with so much force, obviously it was totally unexpected, I was shaking so much I could barely unlock my phone to type 999.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
Anyone with information is asked to call 101, or Crime Stoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.