Smash and grab heist: robbers ram-raid Hackney office
- Credit: Archant
An office behind Kingsland Road, Haggerston was ram-raided last night, and several men were seen fleeing on motorbikes just before 10pm.
A car was used to smash into the glass-fronted building, paving the way for the thieves, who were wearing crash helmets, to grab the loot from inside.
Witnesses called police immediately but the gang made off within a couple of minutes, before Hackney police’s Task Force arrived on the scene.
Gazette reporter, Emma Bartholomew, who saw the incident said: “I heard a horrible loud noise and shouting outside, and when I looked out the window I saw a car reversing into the building.
“Then a few men dressed in black wearing crash helmets began running in and out. It looked as though they were stealing laptops and loading them onto motorbikes.
You may also want to watch:
“It happened so quickly, they were gone within seconds, I’m just amazed the car was able to drive off after the destruction.
“The scary bit was the brute aggression, seeing a car smashing into a building with so much force, obviously it was totally unexpected, I was shaking so much I could barely unlock my phone to type 999.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
Anyone with information is asked to call 101, or Crime Stoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.