Springdale Road hit and run driver leaves man in hospital with leg injury
- Credit: Michael Amherst - DO NOT CREDIT
A hit-and-run driver in Stoke Newington left a young man in hospital with a serious leg injury on Saturday night.
Police have yet to trace the person behind the wheel. It happened in Springdale Road, off Green Lanes, just before 9.30pm.
The road is a notorious rat run used by cars cutting through from the main road, sometimes at high speed.
Neighbour Michael Amherst told the Gazette: "Cars [in Green Lanes] regularly speed over 50 and sometimes you have to run across the road out of the path of speeding cars on the pedestrian crossing.
"At night, cars will speed down Springdale Road using it as a rat run, including police cars."
You may also want to watch:
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said: "Police were called at 9.27pm on September 14 to a car in collision with a pedestrian in Springdale Road, N16.
"The pedestrian - a man, aged in his late 20s - was taken to hospital suffering a leg injury. His condition is not life-threatening.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 9 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 10 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
"The driver of the car did not stop at the scene. Enquiries are underway to establish the circumstances.
"There has been no arrest at this stage."