Springdale Road hit and run driver leaves man in hospital with leg injury
- Credit: Michael Amherst - DO NOT CREDIT
A hit-and-run driver in Stoke Newington left a young man in hospital with a serious leg injury on Saturday night.
Police have yet to trace the person behind the wheel. It happened in Springdale Road, off Green Lanes, just before 9.30pm.
The road is a notorious rat run used by cars cutting through from the main road, sometimes at high speed.
Neighbour Michael Amherst told the Gazette: "Cars [in Green Lanes] regularly speed over 50 and sometimes you have to run across the road out of the path of speeding cars on the pedestrian crossing.
"At night, cars will speed down Springdale Road using it as a rat run, including police cars."
You may also want to watch:
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said: "Police were called at 9.27pm on September 14 to a car in collision with a pedestrian in Springdale Road, N16.
"The pedestrian - a man, aged in his late 20s - was taken to hospital suffering a leg injury. His condition is not life-threatening.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
"The driver of the car did not stop at the scene. Enquiries are underway to establish the circumstances.
"There has been no arrest at this stage."