Arrests made as ‘hundreds’ attend illegal Hackney party during lockdown
- Credit: TOM PALLISER
One person was tasered by police as arrests were made at an illegal party on Saturday night (May 30), including one for an assault on an emergency worker.
A spokesman for the Met said the force became aware at about 9pm of a “large number of people” gathered at the Springfield Estate in Clapton.
A “small number” of arrests were made by officers, for various offences, while the National Police Air Service helicopter circled overhead in support.
The spokesman said officers “attended and engaged with those present to encourage them to go home”.
The crowd was dispersed at around 1.30am but police patrols continued after the incident.
On witness said between 50 and 100 officers attended but that the dispersal was “mostly peaceful”.
Hackney Police tweeted just before midnight: “There is a large scale unlicensed music event in a residential street in E5 involving many hundreds of revellers.
You may also want to watch:
“@NPASSouthEast are providing aerial support to officers on the ground. Apologies for aircraft noise but their involvement is essential to the policing operation.”
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney