Arrests made as ‘hundreds’ attend illegal Hackney party during lockdown
- Credit: TOM PALLISER
One person was tasered by police as arrests were made at an illegal party on Saturday night (May 30), including one for an assault on an emergency worker.
A spokesman for the Met said the force became aware at about 9pm of a “large number of people” gathered at the Springfield Estate in Clapton.
A “small number” of arrests were made by officers, for various offences, while the National Police Air Service helicopter circled overhead in support.
The spokesman said officers “attended and engaged with those present to encourage them to go home”.
The crowd was dispersed at around 1.30am but police patrols continued after the incident.
On witness said between 50 and 100 officers attended but that the dispersal was “mostly peaceful”.
Hackney Police tweeted just before midnight: “There is a large scale unlicensed music event in a residential street in E5 involving many hundreds of revellers.
You may also want to watch:
“@NPASSouthEast are providing aerial support to officers on the ground. Apologies for aircraft noise but their involvement is essential to the policing operation.”
- 1 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 2 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 3 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 4 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 5 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 6 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 7 All you need to know about the Hackney by-elections on May 6
- 8 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 9 Hackney New School to complain to Ofcom over damning ITV report
- 10 Teenagers shot and stabbed in Hackney