Arrests made as ‘hundreds’ attend illegal Hackney party during lockdown
- Credit: TOM PALLISER
One person was tasered by police as arrests were made at an illegal party on Saturday night (May 30), including one for an assault on an emergency worker.
A spokesman for the Met said the force became aware at about 9pm of a “large number of people” gathered at the Springfield Estate in Clapton.
A “small number” of arrests were made by officers, for various offences, while the National Police Air Service helicopter circled overhead in support.
The spokesman said officers “attended and engaged with those present to encourage them to go home”.
The crowd was dispersed at around 1.30am but police patrols continued after the incident.
On witness said between 50 and 100 officers attended but that the dispersal was “mostly peaceful”.
Hackney Police tweeted just before midnight: “There is a large scale unlicensed music event in a residential street in E5 involving many hundreds of revellers.
You may also want to watch:
“@NPASSouthEast are providing aerial support to officers on the ground. Apologies for aircraft noise but their involvement is essential to the policing operation.”
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school