Arrests made as ‘hundreds’ attend illegal Hackney party during lockdown
- Credit: TOM PALLISER
One person was tasered by police as arrests were made at an illegal party on Saturday night (May 30), including one for an assault on an emergency worker.
A spokesman for the Met said the force became aware at about 9pm of a “large number of people” gathered at the Springfield Estate in Clapton.
A “small number” of arrests were made by officers, for various offences, while the National Police Air Service helicopter circled overhead in support.
The spokesman said officers “attended and engaged with those present to encourage them to go home”.
The crowd was dispersed at around 1.30am but police patrols continued after the incident.
On witness said between 50 and 100 officers attended but that the dispersal was “mostly peaceful”.
Hackney Police tweeted just before midnight: “There is a large scale unlicensed music event in a residential street in E5 involving many hundreds of revellers.
You may also want to watch:
“@NPASSouthEast are providing aerial support to officers on the ground. Apologies for aircraft noise but their involvement is essential to the policing operation.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack