Stamford Hill rave: Police hit with missiles when trying to shut down huge block party
- Credit: Archant
Riot police were pelted with missiles last night as they attempted to shut down a huge rave in Stamford Hill.
Hackney officers had warned people to stay away from the block party in Malvern House after it was widely advertised on social media, but about 400 people flocked to the area.
Footage shows objects being thrown at police as they tried to put a stop to the party at about 8.45pm.
They had confiscated the sound system which was set up in the street, but retreated when they came under attack and the party continued until the early hours.
Some neighbours said the party was good-natured, but it turned ugly after police confiscated the sound system and attempted to shut it down, with some injured by the missiles thrown at them.
You may also want to watch:
No arrests were made at the rave, which Scotland Yard said had no link to a similar event in Hyde Park that saw three people stabbed.
It came just two nights after a rave in nearby Millfields Park, which drew about 400 youngsters and was allowed to go ahead despite dozens of complaints from neighbours to Hackney Council and police.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
A full story on both will be in tomorrow’s Gazette.
Were you at either party? If so, email firstname.lastname@example.org.