Ravensdale Road: Lorry driver sparks security alert by dumping container in street ‘because it is too large’
- Credit: Archant
Police shut a Stamford Hill road after a lorry driver apparently dumped a massive shipping container in the middle of the street near a synagogue and drove off.
Ravensdale Road was closed an hour ago so cops could make sure the container was not suspicious. They were also pictured checking underneath nearby vehicles.
But they gave the all-clear after the sheepish driver returned to the “Dong Fang” lorry.
He had left the corrugated iron box there temporarily because his lorry load of two containers was too long for him to safely drive round a bend.
A spokesman for volunteer neighbourhood watch group Shomrim told the Gazette the driver had apparently planned to take one container at a time around the corner.
You may also want to watch:
“The police were about to put in a 400m cordon in place and evacuate all local residents,” he added.
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 7 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 8 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- 9 Hackney CEO to retire after 40 years in local government
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web