Ravensdale Road: Lorry driver sparks security alert by dumping container in street ‘because it is too large’
- Credit: Archant
Police shut a Stamford Hill road after a lorry driver apparently dumped a massive shipping container in the middle of the street near a synagogue and drove off.
Ravensdale Road was closed an hour ago so cops could make sure the container was not suspicious. They were also pictured checking underneath nearby vehicles.
But they gave the all-clear after the sheepish driver returned to the “Dong Fang” lorry.
He had left the corrugated iron box there temporarily because his lorry load of two containers was too long for him to safely drive round a bend.
A spokesman for volunteer neighbourhood watch group Shomrim told the Gazette the driver had apparently planned to take one container at a time around the corner.
You may also want to watch:
“The police were about to put in a 400m cordon in place and evacuate all local residents,” he added.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 10 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold