Ravensdale Road: Lorry driver sparks security alert by dumping container in street ‘because it is too large’
- Credit: Archant
Police shut a Stamford Hill road after a lorry driver apparently dumped a massive shipping container in the middle of the street near a synagogue and drove off.
Ravensdale Road was closed an hour ago so cops could make sure the container was not suspicious. They were also pictured checking underneath nearby vehicles.
But they gave the all-clear after the sheepish driver returned to the “Dong Fang” lorry.
He had left the corrugated iron box there temporarily because his lorry load of two containers was too long for him to safely drive round a bend.
A spokesman for volunteer neighbourhood watch group Shomrim told the Gazette the driver had apparently planned to take one container at a time around the corner.
You may also want to watch:
“The police were about to put in a 400m cordon in place and evacuate all local residents,” he added.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets