Stansted arrest linked to Hackney terrorism charge
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Counter-terrorism officers have arrested an 18-year-old woman at Stansted airport, in an incident thought to be related to an arrest made in Hackney last year.
The woman, who has not yet been identified by police, was arrested at around 4pm on Saturday as she flew into the Essex airport.
She was arrested on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts, contrary to Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2006, and membership of a proscribed organisation, contrary to Section 11(1) of the Terrorism Act 2000.
According to Scotland Yard a 21-year-old man was arrested in Hackney as part of the same investigation on suspicion of similar offences on October 29 last year.
He was arrested on suspicion of assisting another to commit acts of terrorism, or to engage in any conduct for the committing of such acts, by facilitating another to travel abroad, contrary to the Terrorism Act 2006.
You may also want to watch:
The man was taken to a south London police station and bailed until later this month.
A residential address in Hackney was also searched as part of the man’s arrest.
- 1 Fatal Gillett Square shooting shines spotlight on crime hotspot
- 2 Hackney's Miss London makes it to Miss England final
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Two arrests in Dalston fatal shooting investigation
- 4 Dalston shooting victim named by police
- 5 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 6 Hot tub and BBQ boats relaunched at Canary Wharf
- 7 'I cried for a week': Hoxton chef Kirk Haworth on Great British Menu exit
- 8 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 9 ‘I will not be a bystander’, says Extinction Rebellion climate activist
- 10 'They should have handled things earlier' - Bereaved son on Covid inquiry
The woman was taken to a central London police station and has now been bailed until mid-February.
Police have not yet confirmed where the woman arrested had travelled from, and could not give further information regarding how the two arrests are linked at this stage.