Stansted arrest linked to Hackney terrorism charge
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Counter-terrorism officers have arrested an 18-year-old woman at Stansted airport, in an incident thought to be related to an arrest made in Hackney last year.
The woman, who has not yet been identified by police, was arrested at around 4pm on Saturday as she flew into the Essex airport.
She was arrested on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts, contrary to Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2006, and membership of a proscribed organisation, contrary to Section 11(1) of the Terrorism Act 2000.
According to Scotland Yard a 21-year-old man was arrested in Hackney as part of the same investigation on suspicion of similar offences on October 29 last year.
He was arrested on suspicion of assisting another to commit acts of terrorism, or to engage in any conduct for the committing of such acts, by facilitating another to travel abroad, contrary to the Terrorism Act 2006.
You may also want to watch:
The man was taken to a south London police station and bailed until later this month.
A residential address in Hackney was also searched as part of the man’s arrest.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
The woman was taken to a central London police station and has now been bailed until mid-February.
Police have not yet confirmed where the woman arrested had travelled from, and could not give further information regarding how the two arrests are linked at this stage.