Stoke Newington death: Two arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a woman was found dead at a flat on the Milton Gardens Estate in Stoke Newington.
The body of Sandra Samuels, 45, was discovered by police at an address in Herrick House, where she lived, at 1.30pm on Saturday.
A 47-year-old man was arrested the next day on suspicion of murder and has been released under investigation. Today police arrested another man, 40, on suspicion of murder. He remains in custody.
Ms Samuels' family have been told about her death and are being supported by police. A post-mortem examination took place yesterday but further tests are required. Her death is being treated as suspicious.
It comes 18 months after father-of-three Daniel Frederick was murdered in Shakspeare Walk on the same estate.
Neighbours have spoken of their shock and sadness at Ms Samuels' death. One man told the Gazette: "I saw police and then it was all taped off out there. We have all been in the dark. It was only yesterday we found out she passed away.
"We spoke, I have been to her house a few times. She had a kid who lives with the father.
"She was bubbly. She liked her music. She listened to revival and reggae - I think she used to play her music in little venues as well.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 2 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 3 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 4 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 5 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 6 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 7 Worries at lights shutting off around Hackney
- 8 Things to do in north London: Christmas markets, workshops and more this weekend
- 9 Missing girl, 11, could be in Hackney
- 10 Hackney man wanted in relation to alleged Chelmsford assault
"She was always one to say hello and talk to people in the building. She had a big smile.
"Around here anything can happen. When I found out I was devastated. It was a big shock, even now I can't believe it. It's crazy."
Another neighbour, Hardeep Kaur, last saw Ms Samuels a few weeks ago, when she was using a walking stick. Hardeep said: "I can't believe she died. She was very nice, friendly, always happy."
Det Ch Insp Chris Soole, said: "We are treating this death as suspicious and are appealing for help from the public. I would like to hear from anyone who was in the area, particularly if they saw anyone hanging around. Your information could be vital."
Anyone with any information can contact police on 101 or 020 8345 1570, or via Twitter @MetCC. Quote CAD 4191/31AUG. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org.