Stoke Newington paedophile sentenced to 13 years behind bars

Four men who carried out an armed robbery of a Finsbury Park home have been jailed for a combined to

Four men who carried out an armed robbery of a Finsbury Park home have been jailed for a combined total of more than 30 years - Credit: Archant

A Stoke Newington paedophile who ran an off-licence and nightclub has been sentenced to 13 years behind bars for raping a child three decades ago.

In a landmark historical case, Denton George Newell, 61, of Lordship Road, Stoke Newington, was convicted of two counts of rape and one count of indecent assault of a young girl dating back to the 1980s, when the victim was eight and nine years old.

There was no forensic evidence and the jury at Inner London Crown Court relied primarily on the testimony of the family doctor at the time, as many police and social services documents were either absent, missing or lost.

The court heard evidence from the victim, who cannot be named, saying that she had been assaulted at the age of eight or nine when Newell, who ran a off-licence in Newington Green and a nightclub in Islington, pulled her onto his lap and said he wanted to talk to her about school and boyfriends, before touching her inappropriately.

The victim said that, in another incident a short time later, she was dragged to the top floor of a two-storey house by Newell who then slapped her across the face, ripped off her tights and knickers and raped her.

The court also heard that, on May 17, 1984, Newell dragged the victim to a bathroom and tried to pull down her pants. She screamed, and her older brother came running to the bathroom to see what was wrong.

After telling her mother, she was taken to the family doctor.

Most Read

Dr Kay – whose full name was not disclosed – told the court that he was not able to carry out a forensic examination for lack of the necessary medical expertise. He told the mother to alert the police, but the incident was never reported.

The catalogue of sexual abuse only came to light two years ago after the victim was assaulted by someone else. Police then encouraged her to help them take action.

Pc Jade Hassan of the Metropolitan Police’s Sapphire unit, who helped bring the case to court, said: “A lot of hard work went in to putting this together as it’s a historical rape case which took place almost 30 years ago.”

Newell was sentenced to 13 years for one count of rape and received a 24-month concurrent sentence for the second count, as well as a 24-month concurrent sentence for indecent assault.