Operation Venice: Taser fired during Hoxton moped arrest following mobile phone theft
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Officers fired a Taser yesterday as they arrested a man, after a woman’s mobile phone was reportedly stolen in Hoxton by a thief on a moped.
Officers fired a taser during an arrest, after a woman’s mobile phone was reportedly stolen in Hoxton by a thief on a moped.
Police were called just after noon on Monday (September 21) to reports of the robbery, and tactical pursuit and containment (TPAC) officers in cars and motorbikes made their way to the scene.
Officers from Operation Venice, which tackles moped-enabled crime, are trained to bring pursuits to a conclusion by using specific methods such as forcing a fleeing car to abruptly turn sideways, causing the driver to lose control and stop.
An hour later, police officers deployed a taser as a man tried to get onto a moped.
You may also want to watch:
A 30-year-old man was arrested for robbery, handling stolen goods, driving whilst unfit through the influence of alcohol or drugs, taking and driving away, and theft from a person.
Sgt Tony McGovern said the public can help Operation Venice by making sure valuable items are not visible and vehicles are properly secured using their ‘Lock, Chain and Cover’ advice.”
- 1 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 6 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 7 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue
- 8 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Woman charged with murder after Stamford Hill fatal stabbing