Teen arrested after five moped acid attacks in Hackney and Islington
- Credit: PA
Police are appealing for witnesses after acid was thrown by moped riders in Hackney and Islington last night.
The five incidents, in a 72-minute spree, are believed to be linked. A male in his teens was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery. He is currently in custody.
At 10.25pm, cops were called to Hackney Road’s junction with Queensbridge Road, in Haggerston, to a robbery. They found a 32-year-old man, believed to be a food delivery driver, suffering from facial injuries.
The victim had been on a moped when another moped, with two male riders, pulled up alongside him. The males threw a corrosive substance in the victim’s face, with one stealing his moped and the other making off on the moped they arrived on. The man has been taken to hospital. His injuries are not life threatening or life changing.
Following this incident, at 11.05pm a corrosive substance was reported to have been thrown in the face of a man (police said no further details are available) by two males on a moped in Shoreditch High Street. The victim was taken to hospital. His injuries are not life threatening or life changing.
You may also want to watch:
At 11.18pm, police received a call to a similar incident, a robbery in Cazenove Road, Stoke Newington, where a corrosive substance had been thrown. Officers attended and found a man suffering from facial injuries. He was taken to his hospital and his injuries are described as life-changing.
A fourth incident was reported to police at 11.37pm in Chatsworth Road, Lower Clapton. A man said he had been on his moped in traffic when two males on a moped pulled up alongside him and sprayed liquid in his face. They stole his moped and made off.
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 5 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 7 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
The victim (again, police said no further details are available) made his way home before calling the police. He was taken to hospital. His injuries are not life threatening and not-life changing.
Following the incidents in Hackney, officers were made aware of a similar attack in Islington. At 10.49pm hours, a man was reported to have had a corrosive substance thrown in his face by two males on a moped in Upper Street’s junction with Highbury Corner. He was taken to hospital but the police had no updates on his condition.
Any witnesses, anyone with information or anyone in possession of footage of these incidents should call police on 101. To remain anonymous you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.