Thieves steal guitars and cash from newly-opened ’50s rock ‘n’ roll pub Be-Bop-A-Lula in Green Lanes
- Credit: Be-Bop- A-Lula, in Stoke Newington
Bosses at a brand new ’50s-themed rock ‘n’ roll pub are smarting after thieves broke in and stole guitars and cash one week after it opened its doors.
Be-Bop-A-Lula only launched in Green Lanes at the start of the month at what used to be the old Winnicott boozer.
It was taken over by the team behind movie-themed pub The Alma in Newington Green and the Hitchcock inspired North by Northwest in New North Road.
Months were spent kitting out the venue with a Wurlitzer jukebox, slot machines, wall-to-wall memorabilia and a rack of 30 guitars which have been pinned above the bar.
But after closing time on Friday night two of the instruments were stolen, along with an iPod and a small amount of cash.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve just opened,” said manager Wesley Deaton. “And somebody has taken a cheap shot and broken in. It’s horrible, we’re disgusted and very upset. After all the effort and work we have put in it feels like a bit of a slap in the face.”
Wesley said the break-in had taken the wind out of their sails after a good start for the pub, which serves diner food including the “famous Elvis sandwich” – mashed banana, peanut butter and bacon.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
Police are investigating the burglary. Anyone with information can email email@example.com.