Hackney teen Shereka Marsh ‘was shot in neck’ - video
- Credit: Archant
A teenage girl who died after being shot in neck on Saturday afternoon in Hackney Wick has been named as Shereka Marsh, a prefect at The Urswick School.
Police are questioning three boys thought to be known to the 15-year-old victim, who was pronounced dead by paramedics at a house in Eastway shortly after 4pm.
Police said it was not her home address.
On Sunday, Scotland Yard confirmed the identity of the victim and revealed the results of a post mortem which found she died from a gunshot wound to the neck.
Friends of Shereka have left tributes to the pupil of The Urswick School, where she was a prefect.
You may also want to watch:
“She was that type of person who would always be laughing,” said school friend Bruno D’Almeida.
“There was never nothing wrong with her. Oh and those dimples of hers were beautiful.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
“She was one of a type. Loved by everyone.”
Lia Poroosotum said: “Shereka was my best friend, the most amazing girl I could ever ask for.
“I honestly don’t know what I’d do without her.
“The fact that I’ll never see her face again is just heart breaking and I can’t accept it.
“Everyone loves Shereka and we all miss her, my beautiful Shereka may she rest in peace.”
Tributes to the “beautiful angel” have also appeared on a Facebook page called “R.I.P. Shereka”, which this morning had more than 6,000 likes.
Taiwo Omileke wrote: “Rip Shereka your her soul rest in perfect peace”.
Kerrease Jan Baptiste added: “Shereka is going to be the brightest star in the sky xxxx”, and Lenka Slivkova posted: “R.I.P shereka you’ll be missed but never forgotten.”
Just last week, Shereka showed visitors including the Jamaican High Commissioner, Her Excellency Aloun Ndombet-Assamba, around her school, The Urswick School in Paragon Road.
Police said three boys - two aged 16 and one 15-year-old - were arrested near to the scene following Saturday’s incident, and were taken to an east London police station where they remain in custody.
A gun was recovered from the house in Eastway, police said.
Officers believe they know her identity and have begun informing her family, however they await formal identification.
A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.
Detectives from the homicide and major crime command are investigating and officers were last night standing guard outside the terraced house where the shooting happened.
Anyone with information that could help the investigation should call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, or police on 101.
• Did you know Shereka? Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to leave your tributes.