Three arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- Credit: Google Streetview
Three men have been arrested over a shooting in London Fields that left a woman paralysed.
The victim, aged 32, was injured in Westgate Street just before 9pm on November 22, and was rushed to hospital where - one month on - her condition remains critical, but stable.
Two men, aged 20 and 28, were arrested on Saturday on suspicion of assisting an offender, and have since been released under investigation.
On December 15, a 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life. He has also been released under investigation.
Police believe the “innocent bystander” may have been caught in gangland crossfire during the filming of a drill music video.
You may also want to watch:
They have heard from witnesses who claim it was being filmed by about 10 people in Broadway Market nearby, just minutes before the shooting.
Det Insp Matt Webb from the Met’s Trident team said: “While we have made three arrests we retain an open mind and would ask anyone who has not yet made contact with us to please get in touch.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
“As we have previously said, it appears the group were being filmed for the purposes of a music video, with professional looking camera equipment.
“It then appears that the group have become involved in an altercation with another group of people who arrived at the scene.
"During this incident one of the groups produced and discharged a firearm and both groups then fled the scene.
“The victim was an innocent bystander and was left seriously injured in the street."
He added: “Over the course of this investigation we have spoken to a number of people and been contacted by local residents who have been disgusted by this horrific incident and have wanted to share with us what they know.
"I would like to thank those people, and reassure them that we continue to work 24/7 and will stop at nothing to find the person or persons who left this woman so seriously injured.
“Police must work with communities to catch criminals and this incident is an example of how important that is right now.
"Someone knows who did this - I say to those people, please do not help violent criminals by remaining silent."
Witnesses or anyone with information about the filming of the video, or who has any other information, video, or images that could help, are asked to call 0207 230 9737 quoting either Op Halifaxa or CAD 6587/22NOV20.
Alternatively to remain anonymous call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.