Turkish team visits Hackney to share best practice on tackling domestic abuse
- Credit: Archant
Officers from Turkey made a special trip to Hackney to find out how their counterparts tackle domestic abuse.
Deputy Turkish Consul Fatih Tetik and specialist domestic violence officers from the Turkish National Police spent three days with officers from Hackney’s community safety unit to see how the Met brings domestic violence perpetrators to justice and safeguard victims.
They gained an insight into the tactics used by the Met to combat domestic violence, which include Domestic Violence Prevention Orders, Clare’s Law and multi-agency risk assessment conferences, and also met with domestic violence victims.
Det Sgt Lee McCullough, who helped organise the event, said: “Domestic violence is under-reported both in London and Turkey.
“We hope this visit not only assists our counterparts in Turkey but also raises awareness amongst the Turkish speaking community to report domestic violence.
You may also want to watch:
“We are committed to working with all our partners and local communities in order to bring perpetrators to justice and safeguard victims.
He urged victims to come forward to the police, or to Turkish speaking women’s organisations like IMECE, a women’s refuge in Newington Green Road.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
“You will be believed and you will be helped,” he said.
Hackney’s Borough Commander Simon Laurence also spent time with the officers, sharing his experiences of tackling domestic violence.
He said: “My officers had the opportunity to discuss and learn more about the Turkish community with visiting senior Turkish police officers.
“It was an opportunity to share our procedures and identify risk.
“They were keen to understand how we work with partners and the pathways offered to both victims and perpetrators.
“It was an honour to host their visit and spend time discussing the way we and they tackle domestic abuse.”
Their visit also included a visit to the Domestic Violence Court at Thames Magistrates’ Court in Bow Road.
For further information about IMECE women’s Centre call 020 7354 1359 or see www.imece.org.